Forestry Sands & Grits
TARGET® Forestry Nursery Grits
TARGET® Forestry Nursery Grits (99932002) are a well-graded, light tan, processed sands produced from Alberta sources. The product is available in three size ranges to suit various planting conditions. Each grade contains mainly natural, rounded particles. Foreign material and dust are removed in a high temperature drying process and by screening. The available sizes are Regular 2.4 to 1.2 mm (No.8 to No.16), Medium 4.8 to 1.2 mm (No.4 to No.16) and Coarse 4.8 to 2.4 mm (No.4 to No.8).
- TARGET® Forestry Nursery Grit products are suitable for seed and planting operations requiring clean, free-draining sand. Current cultural practices show that most tree species benefit from a seed cover after sowing. The required thickness of this cover varies, but in general the cover depth should not exceed 6 mm (1/4”) for small-seeded species and 9 mm (⅜”) for large-seeded species. The main function of the cover is to hold the seed anchored during germination. The cover also protects the seed from direct sunlight and aids the moisture retention necessary for germination. Water and air are readily able to penetrate the sand, but moss and algae growth and the resultant adverse effects on germination and seedling growth are inhibited by the relatively inert sand particles. Crusting, which hinders water penetration, does not occur to any significant extent with TARGET® Forestry Nursery Grits. Because they are dry, dense, and evenly graded, TARGET® Forestry Nursery Grit products are easily applied and anchor the seed well. Perlite and vermiculite have proven to be poor seed covering materials because of their light density, which allows them to be blown off. Because TARGET® Forestry Nursery Grits are chemically neutral they do not interfere with seedling nutrition programs.
- Colour: Tan
- Grain Shape: Sub-rounded
- Bulk Density: 1,474 – 1,522 kg/m³ (92 – 95 lb/ft³)
- Hardness (Mohs): 6.5 – 7
- Specific Gravity: 2.65
- Moisture Content <0.1% weight
- 1 mt 1,000 kg Bulk Bag/pallet
- 25 kg (55 lb) 32 Bags/pallet