Forestry Sands & Grits
TARGET® Forestry Sand
TARGET® Forestry Sand (9992002) is a well-graded, light grey, processed sand produced from British Columbia sources. It contains mainly natural, uncrushed particles in the 2 to 3 mm (No. 6 to No. 10 sieve) size range. Foreign material and dust are removed in a high-temperature drying process by air aspirator and by screening.
- It is suitable for seed and planting operations requiring a clean, free-draining sand. Current cultural practices show that most tree species benefit from a seed cover after sowing. The required thickness of this cover varies, but in general the cover depth should not exceed 6 mm (1/4″) for small-seeded species and 9 mm (⅜”) for large-seeded species. The main function of the cover is to hold the seed anchored during germination. The cover also protects the seed from direct sunlight and aids the moisture retention necessary for germination. Water and air are readily able to penetrate the sand, but moss and algae growth and the resultant adverse effects on germination and seedling growth are inhibited by the relatively inert sand particles. Crusting, which hinders water penetration, does not occur to any significant extent with TARGET® Forestry Sand. Significant crusting often occurs with poorly graded sands. Because it is dry, dense, and evenly graded, TARGET® Forestry Sand is easily applied and anchors the seed well. Perlite and vermiculite have proven to be poor seed covering materials because they have a light density and tend to blow off. Because it is chemically neutral it does not interfere with seedling nutrition programs.
- Colour: Grey
- Grain Shape: Sub-round
- Bulk Density: 100 lb/ft³ (1,602 kg/m³)
- Hardness (Mohs): 6 – 6.5
- Specific Gravity: 2.65
- Moisture Content: <0.1% weight
- 1 mt 1,000 kg Bulk Bag/pallet
- 25 kg (55 lb) 32 Bags/pallet